- 1 lb. medium shrimp, peeled and deveined (tails removed)
- pinch of salt and ground pepper
- 1 small white onion, chopped finely
- 6 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 can (7 oz.) diced tomatoes, in juice
- 1 cup cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
- 200 grams pasta of your choice (I used plain spahetti this time)
- a dash of dried basil leaves
- parsley leaves for garnish (optional)
- Season shrimp with salt and pepper. In a large skillet, heat 3 teaspoons oil over high. Add shrimp; cook until opaque throughout, turning occasionally, 3 minutes. Transfer to a bowl; set aside.
- Make sauce: To the same skillet, add remaining 3 teaspoons oil and chopped onions; cook over medium heat until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add canned tomatoes and their juice, along with a cup of water; bring to a boil. Stir in dried basil leaves and garlic powder. Reduce heat; simmer, stirring occasionally, until tomatoes have softened and are saucy, about 15 minutes. Remove sauce from heat; stir in cherry tomatoes.
- Meanwhile, in a large pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta until al dente, according to package instructions. Drain; return pasta to pot. Add tomato sauce, shrimp, and basil; season with salt and pepper, and toss. Serve immediately, garnish with parsley leaves, if desired.
- If sauce seems too thin, use a tsp. of tomato paste to thicken.