Macaroni & Cheese
- 1 pound pasta penne, elbows, etc.
- Sea Salt
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 cup half-and-half
- 8 ounces shredded sharp Cheddar
- 8 ounces shredded mozzarella
- 4 ounces grated Emmenthaler or Greyuer Cheese
- About 20 grinds black pepper
Cook pasta until al dente in a large pot of boiling salted water. Drain. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the flour and stir to form a smooth paste. Cook for about 2 minutes, being careful not to brown. Gradually add the milk and the half-and-half and simmer until thickened slightly, stirring all the while. Remove from the heat. Stir in the 3 cheeses and season with black pepper, to taste. Add the cooked pasta and mix into the cheese sauce thoroughly.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
YIELD:about 4 servings