I was looking up something on the Internet and I stumbled across the fact that today is “Love Your Pet Day”. I found this pretty funny, because in our house, every day is Love Your Pet Day.
In fact a few years back a friend of mine said that when she died she hoped to come back as my pet! It cracked us both up, but today I look at how our pets are treated in this house, and I would say, that yes, it’s always “Pet Day” here.
In fact when I think about it, my dogs, my pets, are probably my best friends. And here is why.
- They listen to me, when I need to talk.
- They never talk back or answer in a sarcastic manner.
- They love to snuggle. Even when it is hot.
- They will never complain about your cooking.
- They actually feel bad when you are away from them.
- When you come home, they are always happy to see you.
- If you can’t finish your meal, they never get angry, they finish it for you!
- They always want to go out for a ride.
- A dog will follow you all around the house, just so you will stop and pat them.
- And best of all, their love is unlimited.
So take your dog for a walk, or share a nice snack with them. It’s “Love Your Pet Day”!
I was looking at old puppy pictures this week, remembering when Greta had her first litter. Arnie and Anneliese were her first babies in that litter, and our relationship with them is unlike any other we have had with our dogs.
Arnie is on the bottom with the blue collar, and Anneliese is on top to the right in the green collar. The yellow collar was Anita, and the pink was Angelika and the perky red collar was Anja. All are still living good lives, except Anja. She escaped her owner and was hit by a car the first year. Too bad. She was a sweet puppy.
Anneliese & Arnie
Anneliese age 9. Arnie age 9.
The year was 1999, and here I am sledding with Max and Shubi!
That is before we planted the fruit trees.
Max, MB & Shubi too!
Max and MB
Max and Shubi. Best Friends
Geraldo Rivera may have been disappointed, when he opened Al Capone’s safe on live television in 1986, and found nothing! However, today in the office I scored big time!
I discovered a box with old floppy discs in them. Remember those suckers? They were hard and square and held almost no data! Fortunately a friend told me to buy a cheap reader, when those were all phased out and the CD type discs were the thing to have to back up your documents.
As I was pulling out several shoe-boxes when I found a whole bunch of floppy discs with pictures of my much loved and long gone doggies, as well as my stories.
Back in 1996 when we adopted Shubi, I started writing stories about her life. Children’s stories. And these discs will enable me to edit, add pictures, and create little stories for my granddaughter, Savannah.
The pictures made my heart swell, and filled my face with smiles. Ah, Shubi, and her big White German Shepherd brother, Max.
As soon as we brought her home, Shubi and Max became the very best of friends! These pictures are a wonderful reminder of that special time, that we spent with these two dogs. Devoted, fun, loving, friends.
After this discovery, I needed to take time off, as I have sort of overdone it in the last two days. So tonight, I am sitting with my cervical heating pad (which is so wonderful!), and looking at these wonderful pictures!
This weeks Throw Back Thursday features my beloved Shubi our first wirehaired dachshund, and our white shepherd, Max.
We brought Shubi home from Bavaria, Germany to Max when he was about 5 years old. He immediately adopted her, and the two were best friends.
The mighty Max!
Me with Shubi in the motorcoach. She loved to travel, almost always in my lap!
Big day today. I’m off to have a root canal and then after, go see my regular doctor. Usually I would not make an appointment like this. You know, back to back, but both are important.
Usually my mornings start with the dogs going crazy, but for some reason all the dogs have gone back to sleep! It’s probably the freezing temperature here…-17 degrees…and they probably figure that sleeping in is a better bet.
The three dackels did great at the Vet’s yesterday. The only two things was, Greta must be on a bit of a diet, as she has gained 3 pounds this year! Anneliese has high alkaline urine, so she is on Vitamin C to help her urine become more acidic and break up the crystals that have formed.
Driving to our Vets office and back I was able to see all the snow that had fallen over the winter. Her office is in the foothills of the White Mountains, and strangely, they have not gotten as much snow as we have.
Ah winter! I am so over you!!!
Today the enzyme powder for Lili arrived. We started her on it for lunch and dinner. She already seems a bit better.
You see, Lili’s pancreas doesn’t make the enzyme needed for her to digest her food. She has not gained weight like most dogs and has just been miserable due to tummy aches and gas.
It made her rather hard to be around because she was just frantic. Frantically hungry, and frantic to be loved.
I wasn’t sure what would become of this girl, but the new medcine gives me hope.
The dackels are getting used to her, and Arnie will even cuddle up with her from time to time. It just amazes me how tiny Lili still is. We will certainly have to work on that!
Thirteen Reasons It’s Great To Have Four Good Dogs
1. One of them is always happy to see you come home.
2. If you are feverish and feel cold, you can pack the pooches around your body and get warm.
3. There are no leftovers!
4. You never have to dry your feet after a shower.
5. You never have to worry about someone breaking into your home.
6. You never have to worry that the Veterinarian will be unhappy to see you. ($$)
7. You can leave your keys in the car when you go to the Post Office and no one would dare steal your car! (Not with ever growing Lili sitting there with all her big teeth!)
8. Your life is always full with the care and feeding of the dogs.
9. You are helping to keep the vacuum cleaner bag makers in business.
10. You are also keeping the dog food makers in business as well!
11. At the end of a bad day, seeing their little faces looking up at you is wonderful.
12. Feeling puppy breath on your arm when they are asleep is so sweet.
13. Oh yes, puppy breath! The best!!!
Busy with dogs, housework, cooking.
A puppy that has discovered how to tip over a large bowl of water!
A clean bed with fresh sheets & blankets!
A cute puppy who grows while she sleeps!
Today was make the puppers beautiful day. I started in the morning, combing, stripping and trimming their coats. One after another I put them on the counter and worked.
Hubby helped by stabilizing them, in between snow blowing and ice chipping in the yard. There is just so much snow, ice and yes, even wet under the snow out there! I am so ready for spring!!!
I’d let the little buggers go fur wise for a bit because it has been so darn cold. I felt they needed every last hair on their body. Even though today was bitterly cold, I’m thinking of springtime!
I do have little sweaters for the dackels, all washed and ready to be worn.
Hubby was great today and made a lovely fire in the fireplace and all three dogs have snuggled up with it after they came in.