- 4 pounds of ripe tomatoes
- 1 cup water
Cut the stem end from the tomato and cut into quarters. Place in a large pot, cover and bring to boil. Turn down and simmer tomatoes for 1-2 hours, until very tender.
While tomatoes are cooking Chop up:
- 1 ½ cups onion
- 1 cup green pepper
- 1 cup red pepper
- 1 cup celery
- 1 cup carrots
- smash 6 cloves garlic and chop up finely.
In large kettle add 2-4 tablespoons of olive oil. Heat and add the vegetables you have chopped. Sauté for several minutes, until the onion is translucent.
- 1 pound ground beef (or ground turkey)
- 3 large links of Sweet Italian Sausage (either pork or turkey).
Stir, breaking up meat, and browning, until it is completely cooked. Drain any fat you may have.
- 2 tablespoon Parsley
- 1 cup fresh Basil that you have torn to pieces (this is an important ingredient)
- 1 tablespoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
Allow this to simmer very slowly for 1-2 hours, covered.
- 3-4 small cans of tomato paste. Stir in well to dissolve. This will thicken your sauce and give it good body.
If your sauce does not thicken to your taste after 20 minutes, take the lid off and cook down a little.
This recipe freezes well. I often make a double batch and freeze it for the winter! You will be so glad you did!