Photo courtesy of my cousin Janet!
I decided today to make my world famous Reuben Sandwiches when Janet and Dave came for lunch. I seem to have gotten the knack down for making this scrumptious sandwich. So I am going to share how to make the perfect Hot Pastrami Reuben! Makes 4 Sandwiches.
- Rye bread with or without seeds. Personally I like the seeds as I think they give the sandwich more flavor.
- 1 pound black Pastrami sliced very thin.
- 1/2 a pound of Swiss Cheese. I get the Finlandia Lite Swiss.
- Spicy German mustard.
- Soft butter.
- Thousand Island salad dressing.
- German Sauer Kraut.
Take 8 slices of the rye bread. Pair them up two slices together and set in toaster oven one slice on top of the other. Toast these lightly.
Meanwhile, squeeze all the moisture out of the Sauer Kraut. Place in the microwave and heat. Take three ounces of pastrami per person and place in a large bowl all together. Cover with a paper towl and slightly heat in microwave.
Follow for each sandwich:
- Now that the toast is out of the toaster oven, divide the bread. The insides of the mated sliced should be un-toasted. Spread with soft butter on these soft sides.
- Place one slice, butter side down onto a medium heated griddle.
- Spoon on some of the thousand island salad dressing.
- Place two sliced of the Swiss cheese on top of this.
- Then three ounces of Pastrami.
- Then place some of the Sauer Kraut.
- Place two slices of Swiss cheese on top of this.
- Spread the last slice of the rye bread, toasted side with spicy mustard.
- Place that on top with buttered side facing up.
Now cook until first side is nicely browned. Cook the second side until it is brown and it is ready! If you have a nice stove top griddle you can do all four at once.
Serve with French Fries, and more mustard for spreading or dipping the sandwich into. It is so easy to make and your guests will love it!