I have searched high and low for a good classic Key Lime Pie recipe. Most were okay but nothing to write home about. So I started playing. I played and played with recipe’s until I got it right and here it is. For those of you who love this pie as much as I do and yet couldn’t find it outside of Florida, you will love it. Of course for those with cholesterol problems, this is not for you. I have made it with both the fat-free cream cheese and fat-free condensed milk, but the egg yolks will still kill ya. A special note here. Use only Key Lime Juice. It can be found in some grocery stores bottled, and some specialty groceries will actually carry Key Limes. Regular Lime juice will not cut it! Anyway, save it and make it for a special occasion. I promise you will love it.
Key Lime Pie
8-ounce bar of cream cheese
3/4 cup Key Lime juice
1 can sweetened condensed milk
pinch cream of tartar
- Beat cream cheese until soft and smooth.
- Add egg yolks. Beat this until it is completely smooth.
- Slowly add Key Lime juice, blending well, then add the condensed milk and cream of tartar.
- Blend until this mixture begins to thicken just a bit.
- Then pour into pie crust.
- Bake in a preheated 350-degree oven for 25-30 minutes, or until pie has completely set.
- Cool on wire rack.
- Refrigerate for at least 4 hours before serving.
- Garnish with whipped cream and a thin slice of lime.