- 4 pounds of ripe tomatoes
- 1 cup water
Cut the stem end from the tomato and cut into quarters. Place in a large pot, cover and bring to boil. Turn down and simmer tomatoes for 1-2 hours, until very tender.
While tomatoes are cooking Chop up:
- 1 ½ cups onion
- 1 cup green pepper
- 1 cup red pepper
- 1 cup celery
- smash 6 cloves garlic and chop up finely.
Put tomatoes through a food mill to separate the skin and seeds from the pulp. Reserve all liquid and pulp.
In large kettle add 2-4 tablespoons of olive oil. Heat and add the vegetables you have chopped. Sauté for several minutes, until the onion is translucent.
- 1 pound ground beef (or ground turkey)
- 3 large links of Sweet Italian Sausage (either pork or turkey).
Stir, breaking up meat, and browning, until it is completely cooked. Drain any fat you may have.
- tomato juice and pulp
- 2 tablespoon Parsley
- 1 cup fresh Basil that you have torn to pieces (this is an important ingredient)
- 1 tablespoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
Allow this to simmer very slowly for 1-2 hours, covered.
- 3-4 small cans of tomato paste. Stir in well to dissolve. This will thicken your sauce and give it good body.
If your sauce does not thicken to your taste after 20 minutes, take the lid off and cook down a little.
Makes approximately 3 quarts of sauce.