1. Every January 1st since 1976 Lake Superior University has published a list of words they’d like to see banished from the Queen’s English. Words may be banished due to mis-use, over-use or just general uselessness and they receive over 1000 nominations. Here are the fourteen words/phrases they’d like to see banished in 2011-viral, epic, fail, wow factor, a-ha moment, back story, BFF, man up, refudiate, Mama Grizzlies, The American People, facebook/google when used as verbs, I’m just sayin’, and Live life to the fullest.
What word or phrase would you like to see banished from our everyday vocabulary in 2011? You can choose one from the ‘official list’ or you can get creative and come up with your own.
Those words don’t bother me so much as the number of times people say, “huh” or “ya know?” or “eh?”
2. Do you consider opportunity something that comes to you or something you create for yourself?
I think some people have to go looking for it, while others are lucky enough to just sort of have it happen. So both.
3. Since we’re all eating healthy this month, ahem, what’s included in your favorite salad? Is there dressing?
My salads are like this: mixed greens, cucumber, and grape tomatoes, 2 ounces of low fat cheese and and ounce of two of chicken. Then I take two ounces of southwestern tortilla strips on top with a zesty low fat orange dressing on the side.
4. The fourth Monday in January is said to be Blue Monday…aka the most depressing day of the year. The date was calculated using many factors including weather, debt level, time since Christmas, time since we’ve failed at our new year resolutions, low motivation and feeling a need to take action. Do you get the blues this time of year and if so what is something you do to lift your spirits?
No, I don’t usually get the blues in January. Usually my blues happen in June.
5. Do you wear a watch? Any other everyday jewelry essentials?
I never wear a watch. I kill all watches. Don’t ask me why. My cell phone is the way I tell time. My essential jewelry consist of, stud earrings, wedding ring, and the cross my friend Gail gave me for my 50th birthday.
6. What is something useful you learned in high school?
It wasn’t anything I learned while “in” High School, but 35 years later, the men and women I shared that time with have grown, developed into amazing people. Through facebook and email, I have learned so much about life through what they have been through. High School is so unrealistic. There are clicks and when people are 16, a person’s looks matter so much, and no one is looking past that to see what is inside of people. There is such beauty inside of a person. High Schoolers don’t get that!
So aside from the basics, I can’t really say I learned a whole lot. The important things, I learned afterward in life.
7. Do you use an accountant when completing and filing your income tax returns or do you attempt to muddle through all by yourself?
Nope, Hubby is my accountant!
8. Insert your own random thought here.
As I sit here filling this out it is Tuesday 1/11/11. (weird) The weathermen are forecasting snow for 1/12/11. Let us hope that they are right!
5 thoughts on “Wednesday Hodgepodge”
Your salad sounds yummy…it’s funny reading the salad answers-most are quite precise!
Hope you got your snow…we got a pile and I think there is a little more in the forecast for today. It’s an icy snow which makes it a little more challenging but I”m staying in and making a pot of vegetable soup and getting reacquainted with my vacuum today so I don’t have plans to be in it. Hubs has the good fortune to be in airports trying to get home today…snow + airline travel=not the least stressful thing to be doing : )
Your salad sounds very delicious! Hope you get the snow you were wanting!
Normally November is my blues month, and it ends after the season holidays, but this year I am still “blue” because it’s such a bad weather !!
Sorry I didn’t get over here yesterday. Loved reading your answers. Your salad sound delicious. I always wear a watch when I leave the house. I’ve connected with HS friends to on Facebook.
I’m with you 110% on “huh?”