Well, yesterday, after my disaster with the last batch of Heavenly Jam, I set about peeling, pitting and setting about two batches of Jam to work on today.
The biggest problem is that doing the prep work is so labor-intensive. What to do, what to do?
Well, this is what I did:
- I cooked the peaches for one minute and fifteen seconds, then toss them in ice water and the skins seemed to slip off very easily. Then I crushed the peaches in my hands until they were in tiny bits.
- I juiced the oranges and removed all the pulp inside then tossed the rinds in my food processor and shredded them. This was in place of me sitting there finely chopping them into ribbons.
- Then I did sit and dice the cherries. That was a bit labor-intensive, but there is no quick alternative.
- I measured out the sugar and mixed it all well, covered them, put that in a cool place and set it to rest.
- Later on today I will carefully cook and can these two batches and then I am done!
Jack wants to go to a World War II Museum today and although I would usually be thrilled by this, today I would be happier to stay home, do my jam, and rest. But, he sort of guilted me into it, so I will go.
Meanwhile, I will be making him pancakes this morning. He got a box of pancake mix when we went shopping the other day and wants them for breakfast. Okay, one more thing to cook. As well as a rotisserie chicken for dinner.
Pass my apron!