Maribeth’s Marvelous Meatloaf
(This is my favorite meatloaf recipe. I know it looks complicated, but really, it is not! Best of all, the sandwiches the next day are fabulous!)
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F
- 1 lb hamburger
- 1 lb ground pork
- 1 egg
- 1 tbs olive oil
- ½ onion finely diced
- ¼ cup finely diced green pepper
- ¼ cup finely diced red pepper.
- 2 tsp Cumin
- 2 tbs spicy mustard
- 3 sliced Italian bread
- ½ cup dry Italian bread crumbs. (you may need slightly more)
- 3 slices of bacon
- First, take the 3 slices of Italian bread and place them in a large bowl.
- Add as much water as it takes to cover them.
- Meanwhile, in saute-pan using 1 tbs olive oil, saute onions, and peppers until the onions are translucent. Set aside to cool.
- In a separate bowl, beat egg, Cumin, and mustard until well mixed. Set aside.
- Take Italian bread and squeeze out all the water and pour all the water out of the large mixing bowl.
- Add ground beef and ground pork.
- Add soggy bread that you have mashed up.
- Add the egg mixture
- Add cooled onion and pepper mixture.
- Mix thoroughly with your hands. Add the dry bread crumbs and mix well.
- You may need slightly more or less. Make sure the mixture is well mixed and evenly mixed.
- Place in large loaf pan sprayed with PAM.
- Place bacon over the top lengthwise. Tuck edges down the side of the meatloaf.
- Place in a 375-degree oven and bake for 1 hour.
- Turn heat up to 400 degrees and cook for 15 more minutes.
- Remove from stove. Allow to rest for 5-10 minutes.
- Carefully place on platter. Slice into potion size as needed.
- Serve with a salad, mashed potatoes, and gravy.
Makes great sandwiches the next day!