Okay, here it is. I use the store brand French Onion Soup mix. Here is what I do to dress it up:
Preheat oven 450 degrees
- I slice thinly three onions.
- Then I take 1-2 tbs. butter and melt that in a soup pot.
- I sauté the onions until they are translucent.
- Then I add 4 cups of water and cook covered for 15 minutes.
- I add the store brand, (I use Best Brand French Onion Soup) mix, cover and cook another 12 minutes.
- Meanwhile, I shred about 2 and 1/2 cups Gruyere Cheese and toast a circle of French bread for each bowl.
- I spray the french onion soup bowls with Pam for easy cleanup and then when all is ready ladle soup into bowl within a half inch of the top.
- Place toast into the bowl, (you may have to trim it to fit), and quickly cover with cheese.
- Place in hot oven and cook until golden on top.
OMG, this is so good!!!