Four Bean Salad (for canning)
- 6 c. total garden beans (yellow wax, green, Romano, or combination)
- 1 c. cooked chickpeas
- 1 c. cooked kidney beans
- 1 large onion, quartered and thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, pressed
- 1 tsp. mustard seeds
- 1 tsp. pickling salt, or 1 1/2 t. kosher salt
- 1 c. white vinegar (5 %)
- 1/2 c. fresh lemon juice (I use Real Lemon)
- 1 1/2 c. sugar
- 1-2 tsp olive oil
- 1&1/2 c. water
1) Blanch your beans in boiling water for 3 minutes. Drain and cool. Set aside.
2) Combine all the non-vegetable ingredients except for the oil (vinegar, sugar, lemon juice, herbs, spices, water, etc.) in a large pot and bring to a simmer. Briefly remove from the heat and add the oil. After combined, stir in the vegetables and bring to a simmer. Turn off the heat and let cool; refrigerate for at least 12 hours. (***This step is necessary to make sure that the vinegar actually penetrates the beans, making them safe for a water-bath canner.***) I usually let them set overnight.
3) When the beans are almost done marinating, prepare your canning supplies. Clean and sterilize 4 pint jars. Prepare a boiling water bath and heat the lids.
4) Bring the vegetable mixture to a boil. Fill the jars with the solids, then cover with the hot liquid, leaving a 1/2″ head-space. Cover with two-piece lids (remember, you can reuse the jars and rings, but use fresh lids every time) and process in a boiling water bath for 15 minutes. Set on a double folded dish towel. You should hear the lids thunk down, letting you know they have properly sealed.