1. I’m celebrating a birthday this week so a question relating to aging feels appropriate. Douglas MacArthur is quoted as saying, ‘You are as young as your faith, as old as your doubt; as young as your self-confidence, as old as your fear; as young as your hope, as old as your despair.” Would you agree? If not why not?
Actually that’s a pretty wise statement when you think about it. Especially the last segment. As young as your hope, as old as your despair. You see, I believe hope keeps us feeling young.
2. What remarkable feat, interesting piece of trivia, or historical event occurred on your birth day and month? Not necessarily in your birth-year, just the same date/same month.
1558 - Elizabeth I ascends English throne upon death of her half sister Mary “Bloody Mary”, Queen of England (1553-58), aged 42.
1928 - Boston Garden officially opens
1980 - John Lennon releases “Double Fantasy” album in UK.
3. Describe a time or circumstance where you wanted to ‘have your cake and eat it too.’
If I could have had the cancer removed from my face with no scars at all.
4. What’s something you do that makes you feel young? Something that makes you feel old?
Young? Going on vacation. When we cruise I do two things that bring me delight. The first is afternoon tea in the formal dining-room, where the waiters are dressed in crisp white shirts, black trousers and vests. Tea and goodies are served, just like when my grandma was alive. The other thing, is sitting on deck, or my balcony and reading.
Old? Every time I get up in the morning. I creak and groan and another day begins!
5. When did you last do something that was ‘a piece of cake’?
Last night. Hubby got home late and I whipped up a meal of tacos. He was so happy. And the fixing up part was a piece of cake.
6. Beef, wine, and cheese all improve with age. What’s something else you’d add to that list? (not necessarily food or beverage)
A good dog. I definitely appreciate a calmed down, older dog. Even though Lili is doing well on her special food and medication, I will so be glad when her puppiness is over.
7. If I were to have a giveaway when we hit Volume 200, what should I give away? By my calculations we’ll hit Volume 200 on November 26th, the day before Thanksgiving, which means whoever wins would have whatever it is in time for Christmas.
Something that says “Joyce”. Not the name, but something that whenever one looked at it, we would think of you.
8. Insert your own random thought here.
I have had a piece of popcorn stuck in my front tooth since last Friday. At least I think that is what it is. I go today at 3 o’clock to see my dentist. I just want him to make it go away!