1. Did you do anything ‘memorable’ this past weekend?
No. Took care of Anneliese, did laundry, and cooked meals. You know, the usual.
2. Ronald Reagan is quoted as saying-
“Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn’t pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.”
Your thoughts? Do you somehow acknowledge and appreciate the freedoms you enjoy? Did your upbringing contribute to that sense of appreciation? If you’re a parent, are there specific things you do to pass on this sense of responsibility and appreciation to your own children in regard to the freedoms they enjoy?
I was raised in a very patriotic household. Several cousins served in the military and many gave their lives during World War II.
One who served, was the son of my grandfather’s brother Herbert, Private First Class Ernest Prussman, 13th Infantry Regiment. PFC Prussman took over his squad on 8 September 1944 during the advance on Les Coates in Brittany, and disarmed several Germans, including a machine gun crew. Shot by a German rifleman, his dying act was to unleash a hand grenade that killed the man who shot him. His Medal of Honor was awarded posthumously.
A street at Fort Benning, Georgia was also named after him. As was a a square in Boston at the corner of Faniuel and Goodenough Streets.
3. Loudest noise you’ve ever heard?
I was napping on my sofa when we lived in Florida. All of a sudden there was an extremely loud explosion! A bolt of lightening had hit the phone pole transformer at the end of our driveway, which was very close to the house! I literally fell off of the sofa!
4. What was the last thing you ate that might be considered ‘junk food’? Did you enjoy it?
We are into week two of the Weight Watchers plan and I have not so much as had a potato chip or a french fry or a cracker! Let’s not talk junk food….
5. When was the last time you were somewhere the crowd felt ‘packed in like sardines’?
At the airport in Boston, last time we went on a vacation. I avoid crowds at all costs.
6. Are you organized when it comes to packing for a trip? Do you make a list weeks in advance or toss items in last minute? Are you a carry-on only sort of packer or do you need an entire suitcase for your shoes?
Oh, I am an over-organizer for sure! My lists have lists! But in many ways this is good. I learned after getting to Germany one time and not having packed socks for Hubby. And then there was the cruise where it rained every day and we had no umbrellas or rain jackets!
7. What was the last sporting event you attended in person? Did your team win? Did you care?
I don’t go to sporting events much. Probably it’s because of the whole crowd thing. Mostly it’s just a real pain to get there from where I live in the mountains of New Hampshire!
8. Insert your own random thought here.
Anneliese is better, I’m still waiting for Savannah’s Birthday gift to arrive (not happy about this!), Wednesday is weigh in day at Weight Watchers, and Thursday is planting day for my garden. Busy, busy, busy!